If you are using Windows 10 and have tried to run Windows Update to keep your Windows system secure, then you might encounter this Windows Update error regarding a new KB3087040, which was released on September 21, 2005:
It is very strange for such a high priority security fix, Microsoft didn’t seem to fully test it before rolling it out. By the time of writing this post, the issue with the automatic Windows Update still exists. The only workaround currently is to manually download the security patch and install it on your system until Microsoft fixes the Windows Update issue.
If you are running Windows 10, you will be surprised to know that there is no file for Windows 10 on the KB3087040 page:
If you Google the Internet with the error code and KB3087040, then you will be told that there is no official download page for this security patch on Windows 10 and you will be advised to manually download and install Window 10 build 10240 patch from windowsupdate.com. However, there is an official download page for KB3087040 patch on Windows 10, you just need to know where to look.
Here is the steps to find the security patch file (you can use this same method in the future to fix any security patch published by Microsoft):
- Go to Windows Update Catalog web site with IE at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=96155
- Install Windows Update Catalog addon when prompted
- After installing the addon, refresh the page if it is not refreshed automatically
- Type “KB3087040” in the search field and click Search button
- Find the security patch file for Windows 10 and click Add button
- Click View Basket icon on the top right corner, then follow the instructions to download the file
- Find the download file and double-click it to run it
- Restart your PC after the installation and you are done!
I think it is time to retire Adobe Flash as Google Chrome did.